From the HPKCHC* Hat Challenge - May 15, 2010
24 hours. Knit as many hats as you can/want/until your fingers fall off.
I finished 9 awesomely thick and cozy button band hats. Woot! It was a great day of competition and camaraderie on Ravelry. All for charity, all for fun.
Lots of folks would like to knit this hat so here's the pattern I used.
Here's the quick and dirty version. I'd love to hear any comments or see pics of your hats! I'm BadAmy on Ravelry.
**For those who can't wait for a pretty version in PDF:**
If you're on Ravelry, here's the project page.
* **Yarn:** Approx 70-80 yards (?) Super bulky yarn, 2.5 stitches/inch (10 sts/10 cm)
* 1 ball Rowan Big Wool = 1 hat with some remaining
* 2 balls Lion Thick & Quick = 3 hats
* **Gauge:** 10 stitches / 4 inches (10cm)
* **Needles:** 11 to 15 depending on **YOUR** gauge...
* *For these hats I used US10 Addi Turbo 16" circ for the button band and body of the hat and switched to Bryspun US11 dpns at beginning of decrease section ... I'm a pretty loose knitter on Addi circs and much tighter on acrylic or wood dpns!)*
* Test your gauge, pretty please. My gauge changes drastically when I switch to dpns... yours may too.
* The button band is equally pretty done in moss/seed stitch!
* CO 52
* knit 8 or 10 rows (4 or 5 garter ridges)
* B/O 7, knit to end of row
* join to knit in the round, place marker at beginning of round
* knit about 15 rounds (fewer for a shorter hat)
* switch to dpns:
* knit 7, k2tog, repeat to end
* knit 6, k2tog, repeat to end
* knit 5, k2tog, repeat to end
* knit 4, k2tog, repeat to end
* knit 3, k2tog, repeat to end
* knit 2, k2tog, repeat to end
* knit 1, k2tog, repeat to end
* k2tog, repeat to end
* draw yarn through remaining stitches
Don't forget to:
* Weave in ends.
* Sew a pretty button on the flap, stitching through to interior of hat. I used 1.5" buttons. For best button results, reinforce the decorative button with a flat button placed between the flap and the exterior of the hat.
*HPKCHC - Harry Potter Knit Crochet House Cup